Established in 1994, Home Port Learning Center, filled a strong need in the to provide an education to Whatcom County juvenile offenders, 55% of whom were not enrolled in school. These students and other at-risk youth were provided with an alternative educational environment where they could succeed as students.
Home Port offers a support system for their students by way of connecting them with community resources, providing personal educational plans and preparing them with work readiness skills.
What We've Accomplished in the community
- Home Port Learning Center students built props for Northwest Ballet Theater's production of The Nutcracker.
- The doors at The Marine Life Center were repaired by Home Port students.
- The Squalicum Yacht Club's new flag pole was sanded, filled, and primed by Home Port students.
- The students at Home Port built "Buddy Benches" and cubbies for a local school.
- Students helped with landscaping Maritime Heritage Park.
- Home Port students are currently building a fence and gate for a local Montessori school .